Sports Physical & Well-Child Exam
If your child needs an annual physical before heading back to school or playing a sport, contact Grand River Medical Group in Dubuque, Iowa. Our pediatricians and family doctors offer annual exams that focus on your child's overall health to help them learn and play their best.
What happens during the well-child exam?
During your child's annual exam, the doctor will:
- Review family history
- Assess behavioral issues
- Complete a comprehensive examination
- Discuss your child's weight and provide any testing for concerns of cholesterol levels or diabetes
- Provide guidance and education on the major significant changes that happen as children grow
- Provide vaccines recommend for their age (parental consent required for patients 17 years of age and younger)
- Test your child for anemia (low iron level) with a hemoglobin screening
Sports Physical vs. a Well-Child Exam
When your child plays a sport, they will need a sports physical form from a doctor that says it’s safe to play. Each year, your child will need a well-child exam that offers a more in-depth health assessment that reviews the physical, developmental, emotional, and social aspects.